The ability of SSO or Single Sign-On to affect seamless mobility among social media, online or off-line platforms in the Learning Management System makes it an integral part of today’s workplace learning ecosystem.
Organisations are moving rapidly towards total digitization. The Covid pandemic has seen a whole range of other sectors including education, retail, healthcare, banking, etc. too switching over to online platforms. So users just can’t do it with a single password to access multiple platforms. But the difficulty lies in remembering each of these passwords accurately to access different systems.
Obstacles to learning
Turning our focus to online workplace learning, social media platforms have become an important source of knowledge, information and place for interactive remote learning. This means learners are often required to try and undertake the most daunting task of remembering log in details to access different social media sites. All these, it has been found, only go to hamper the learning process.
Single Sign-On or SSO technology ensures the entire learning architecture is seamlessly integrated to organisations’ Learning Management System or LMS. What users need to do is to just access the learning platforms only once with a single sign on. And, it opens up a whole new world of learning experience.
Convenient and safe
Learning and Development experts say, ‘Single Sign-On (SSO) is a convenient and safe way for learners to access… Learning Management System (LMS).’ It is also increasingly being deployed by organisations so employees not only get access to different social learning platforms but also different systems through a single sign-on.
· The popularity of Single Sign-On in LMS is attributed to its safe operability.
· The user is required to sign on only once ruling out possibilities of any breach in security.
· It also prevents reuse of passwords for accessing various other systems.
· Only one set of login details are enough for verified access to more than one system.
· The result – learners are provided with the best of learning experiences in the most secured way through an open and efficient learning management system.
· With an effective Single Sign-On technology in place, learners can easily navigate through different systems, applications and learning websites with ease without having to use different passwords or log in details.
· All these make learning a much more hassle free, integrated and comprehensive experience.
· The cherry on the cake will be combining SSO with integration technologies like connectors enabling users to smoothly surf through different learning modules on the organisation LMS.
Continuity in learning
Facilitating continuity in learning is another important facet of SSO in the learning management system. Upon completion of one online training course on the LMS, learners can easily join another virtual learning session to enrich his learning experience. Learners can then switch over to another classroom app using LMS’ built-in connection to it.
Bridging digital divide
Significantly, Single Sign On plays the role of a great equalizer. It bridges the digital divide by making learning available to learners both well connected by internet and those not well connected by internet. SSO enables learners to access knowledge and information through a cloud-based mobile LMS 24×7 and anywhere with the help of a mobile phone.
Finally, in a workplace set up SSO in the Learning Management System makes learning and working a satisfying experience for employees. Employees are happy because they don’t have to waste their time and energy on recalling log in details every time they seek to access different systems. This saves time and facilitates speedy learning. The moot point is it is easier to retain a happy talent than an unhappy one. And, that is one of the unique USPs of SSO in the Learning Management System.