A guide to creating Employee Development Plans
Table of Contents
In today’s technological landscape, HRs and L&D managers already know employee development plans are essential to the success of any organization. Growing and nurturing your staff is one of the most important things you can do to drive company performance and build relationships with your employees. To ensure you are getting the most from your employee development efforts, it is important to create a well-defined plan that outlines how each worker will reach their goals and objectives. In this blog post, we will look at key steps for crafting effective employee training plans so that you can give your employees the best chance of success and take you through the features you need to look for in an ideal LMS platform.
Here are some simple steps to get you started with an ideal employee development plan:
The crucial part of any successful plan is to ask the right questions, assess bottlenecks, and create counter measures that ensure a smooth implementation. The following are some of the crucial factors and questions you should ask yourself as L&D managers, before taking the plunge into employee development.
- Consider your business goals
- What do you want your business to achieve in the next year?
- What are some long-term goals for the company?
- How can an employee development plan help achieve these goals?
When setting business goals for the upcoming year, it is important to consider upskilling. Investing in a feature rich LMS like Techademy can help you assess, analyze, and create custom learning paths based on your business goals. This can help create a bigger return for your business and enable long-term success. An employee development plan can be implemented to help upskill workers and reach desired goals in a structured and efficient manner. Regular upskilling activities such as workshops, courses and even mentoring opportunities can equip employees with the necessary skills to reach both short term and long-term business objectives in an effective way.
- Talk with your staff about their skills and training needs
- What do they want to learn or improve on?
- What skills do they already have that could be applied in the company?
- Consider what assessment tools you can use to upskill employees
Employee development plans are the perfect way to get your staff to talk about their skills and training needs in more detail. Start off by inquiring about their specific goals, from the new skills they are looking to learn or strengthen, to the existing ones that could be used within the company. This valuable feedback gives you a better understanding of how you can create a plan on how to provide them with the support and guidance they need, as well as aid in their personal development. It is also essential to consider a customizable assessment platform that can cater to your upskilling needs. Assessments can provide actionable insights on who to upskill and how. It is therefore essential for businesses today to identify and nurture each employee’s strengths, ambitions, and skills.
- Create a plan that is SMART (Specific-Measurable-Achievable-Realistic-Timed)
- Make sure the goals of the employee development plan are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and have a deadline.
- Set comprehensive learning paths for each role/employee
- Set realistic KPIs for your plan and a way to measure and monitor them.
An effective and successful employee development plan will include specific, measurable, achievable, and realistic goals that are within a reasonable timeframe. Technological competencies should also be addressed and monitored in a highly competitive space. Techademy can provide customizable learning paths for your employee’s development, where you can choose from over 500+ learning paths for role-based upskilling. Before implementing the plan, set clear benchmarks by setting realistic key performance indicators (KPIs). This way, you’ll be able to measure progress over time and adapt accordingly to challenges on-the-go. To ensure the plan’s success, KPIs should be met consistently.
- Consider any potential for advancement within the organization
- If someone is interested in moving up within the company, what skills do they need to develop?
- Conduct a succession planning exercise.
- Identify potential candidates.
- Prepare them for their succession.
Succession planning exercises are essential to L&D managers so that employees can take up more responsibilities and build key skills. Skill-assessment tests can play a pivotal role in this step as they can provide you with insights about choosing the right candidate for a role change or a promotion. It is an ideal way to gauge your employees’ abilities and skill-levels. Therefore, upskilling is significant to equip potential candidates and prepare them for their succession at higher echelons of the hierarchy. While upskilling forms the foundation of advanced career prospects, it also provides individuals with the confidence to further enhance their knowledge base which can help them soar to greater heights within the organization.
- Measure the results of employee development plans
- How did the plans affect your employees, both positive and negative?
- Are you achieving what you set out to achieve (the KPIs) with these development plans?
- Use any data you collect to make changes and improve your employee development plans.
Employee development plans are essential for the long-term success of a company, both in employee satisfaction and achieving key performance indicators. Measuring the results of employee development plans helps to get an objective understanding of how successful each plan was, focusing on positive and negative effects alike. This can include employee surveys, employee feedback sessions, or even objectively measured performance improvements. With Techademy’s learner dashboard, gathering insightful data about employee development progress allows you to make important tweaks to existing plans so they are aligned with business goals. With this type of evaluation data, the potential reach and impact of employee development plans is endless.
Statistics that prove employee development plans are beneficial
While we can show you how to create an efficient employee development plan, these following insights can give you a clear picture of how employees and organizations can gain benefits at the same time.
- Employees who have access to professional development opportunities are 15% more engaged.
- Retention rates are 34% higher among organizations that offer employee development opportunities.
- 58% of employees (62% of Millennials and GenX) say professional development contributes to their job satisfaction, a major factor in retention.
- 34% of employees say that career development opportunities motivated them to leave their previous position.
- 87% of millennials say professional growth and career development are very important.
- 76% of employees are looking for opportunities to expand their careers.
With these trends in the L&D world, every major technological company should consider a platform that can provide a one-stop platform that includes cloud labs for hands-on practice, customized assessments, provides insights and analytics on employee tech competencies, and provide you a personalized learning journey. Look no further than Techademy!
Start building your ideal Tech teams. Ask for a demo today.
It is important to remember that L&D is not a sprint, but a marathon. Achieving business goals starts with having a detailed employee development plan. By first assessing what you want to achieve as an organization, and then talking to your staff about skills and training needs, you can create a SMART employee development plan that will help improve performance within your company. Remember to measure the results of your employee development plans so you can see how effective they are!
If you need help crafting or sustaining a tailor-made L&D strategy for your organization, Techademy is here for you. We specialize in creating custom eLearning content and microlearning modules that are perfect for businesses of all sizes. Contact us today to learn more!