Optimizing Bench Workforce with Strategic Upskilling and Reskilling
The client is a multinational professional services partnership headquartered in London and is considered one of the Big Four accounting firms. They primarily provide assurance which includes financial audit, tax, consulting and advisory services to their clients. Like many of the larger accounting firms in recent years, they have expanded into markets adjacent to accounting, including strategy, operations, HR, technology, and financial services consulting. With the client rapidly expanding their services, they needed to move their employees who were on bench for long time for reskilling and project allocation. Thus, they needed a strategic partner who would help identify precise reskilling needs for each employee and chart development plans that would contribute towards achieving their tech transformation goals.
What was the client trying to solve?
The client evaluated various platforms and vendors for their specific requirements and approached us for an all-inclusive solution. After various discussions and demonstrations, they found our Talent Mobility solution an effective strategy for upgrading their L&D strategy.
Creating an Elaborate Assessment Framework:
The first step in addressing their challenge was to understand and identify tech roles they were targeting to upskilling. Having understood this, our team of subject matter experts defined all sub-competency required for all the roles and designed critical milestones for these assessment. The tech assessments combined an array of MCQ as well as application and knowledge-based problems. The extensive test library, replete with over 1M+ questions across 300 skills enabled them to devise impactful assessments.
- The diversity of the questions helped the bank gauge the employees’ understanding of technical concepts in every dimension required for the required job-role, along with their future thinking.
- The score-based reports would determine the ideal learning paths to be taken by each employee.
Identifying areas for development:
A gap in performance and the need to upskill was measured. This exercise ensured that the competencies were broken down at an individual, job-role, and team level and matched it to the company’s goals.
- The auto-graded assessment instantaneously measured employees on several parameters like code correctness and other vital parameters.
- The accurate test reports offered in-depth analytics of code and programming standards, enabling the decision-makers to predict the employees’ real-world skills
- The evaluation was free from bias and would help managers’ back their decisions with optimum reliability.
Case study-based project on cloud labs:
The client also benefited from our extensive code lab that allowed skill testing in real-world scenarios and industry setting. Powered by MakeMyLabs, these code labs acted as sandbox to implement case studies helping them make decisions based on accurate, factual and analytical data. The cloud labs allowed the client to Launch in-browser coding terminals and work on projects without any extensions, downloads or Port22 access.
- The skill assessment helped the client identify and reskill 1500+ employees
- 90% of benched workforce was upskilled and moved to new active projects
- The accurate report scores allowed the client to identify precise reskilling needs and recommend courses to individual employees
- The feedback process, upon completion, offered insights into areas that could be worked upon through group training and personal efforts.
- The auto-graded cloud labs allowed the client to evaluate on-the-spot coding proficiency
The way forward
Based on the success of the exercise to move their benched workforce, the client will be partnering with us to extend similar initiatives for high potential and succession planning. Additional tools, such as competency-based interviews and other customized assessments, are being added to the gambit. We will also be assisting them in undertaking capability assessment and extending other initiatives to their branches across the globe.